The Postcard Project

Want to be involved in the Postcard Project?  It’s simple and fun.  Read on to find out more!!!

Although blogging is great, there’s something quite nice about good old fashioned snail mail, in particular, receiving postcards.  So, in the spirit of developing global connections and getting to know a bit more about other peoples cities/countries etc. I propose  

THE POSTCARD PROJECT

Beach

Image Attribute: Postcard JBeach Licensed Under: NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic  

Here’s what you have to do:
– Leave a message on this post to show you’re interested and so we can exchange school addresses.
– Find a postcard that represents something iconic from your country or even better, from your city.
– Write on the back of the postcard.  This could be anything you like e.g. about your class, about your country or the sorts of things you did for Christmas etc. etc.
– Pop on our address and send it to us.
– You will also recieve a postcard from us.

This can be something you just do with this class or if lots of people are interested, I’ll set up a google doc with various addresses for people that want to take part and larger scale exchanges can take place.

What’s great about this project is the age doesn’t matter – primary or secondary/high-school are both welcome.  What’s more, it provides a real purpose for writing.

Be as involved as you like.  Write 1 postcard or lots.  Do it once in the year or ongoing throughout the year.  The choice is yours.

We look forward to receiving your postcards!

53 thoughts on “The Postcard Project

• Hi Judy and all in B4,
      We look forward to receiving your postcard and sending you ours. It’ll be interesting for the kids to get a postcard from a place they’ve probably never been to in NZ.
      Sarah

1. Hi Sarah

This sound great ! I would love my year 7 class to participate. We are in rural nsw Australia.

look forward to hearing from you
    cheers
    Carla Saunders

2. Our school address is Sandy Beach Public School, 19 Saye Close, Sandy Beach, NSW, Australia. We would love to hear about your local area and what your kids get up to. Some things kids could write about -describe your school. What is the weather like? Is your school in the city or the country? How many children are at your school? What happens in your classroom? Looking forward to receiving a postcard.

3. Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for this great response to The Postcard Project. I think our kids will love this and it’ll be a fun way to learn about each others countries/cities/schools etc. I will set up a private googledoc (when I get home from work today) that will only be shared with those on the project so people can put in their school addresses and state if they would like to send 1 or many postcards.
    I look forward to working with you all.
    Sarah

4. Hi Sarah.
    K/1D in Sydney are keen to participate in the postcard project – we have something interesting in our local area that I’m sure I can hunt down a few postcards of to share with you all! What a great idea Sarah.
    Jen 🙂

5. Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for the invitation. It is a great idea.
    My class would love to be involved however we don’t start school for this year until next week.

I’m sure your class will find mine rather unique. We should have 12 students in our class in years prep, one and two. We come from a district rather than a town in the northern part of Victoria, Australia. For some of the students, this is their 3rd year that they will have me as their teacher. We get to know one another very well over that time.

I’ll have to be on the hunt for postcards as we certainly don’t have one for our district.

from Mrs W and P-2.

6. Hi Everyone,
    This is turning out to be great. I’m so pleased you’re all interested. It sounds like we’ve got a real mix of people too so that should make for a great comparison of different countries and age groups etc.
    You should by now have received a private google doc where you can put you’re address etc. and everyone on the project will be able to access it (but no one else for privacy reasons).

Once all the addresses are filled in, I’ll create a second optional table so you can say when you sent a card to someone and they can input when they received it, that way we can easily track how long cards take to get to and from different countries. (Thanks for the idea of getting the kids to compare snail mail with the speed of email/blogs etc.)

Can’t wait to start.

Sarah

7. Love to participate. Our school is ERrina Heights Public School- On the Central Coast of NSW. Look forward to hearing from you!

8. Hi Sarah,

Seems like a great idea and something I am sure my Year 7 class would enjoy.

We are in south western Sydney in NSW.

Cheers,

Emma

• Hi Jenny,
      Great to have you join us. I will send you a link to the google doc where you can put in your address and see the addresses of others on the project. I sent an email out just recently explaining a few things that people had been asking, I’ve copied it below if it’s any help.

Hi Everyone,

It’s all looking good for The Postcard Project so far and I’m so pleased with the interest. A few people are asking a few questions/have requests. Feel free to use my class blog (the comments section under the post about the project) as a forum for any of these questions/requests then others on the project will be able to view and respond to them too.

With regards to who to send your postcards to and when, it’s up to you. I only start back at school on Monday and have decided (due to all the interest) to do a short unit on recounts with the context being postcards – it’ll tie in nicely with retelling what they did on holiday. So, my classes postcards to all of you will probably be sent in two weeks time. Some of you may wish to get the ball rolling sooner and others later. Some may wish to just send to one person, others everybody. It’s very flexible so just do whatever suits you.

If there’s any more questions etc. feel free to ask.

Sarah

9. Hi Sarah,

I am really interested in sharing this project with my colleagues as it sounds like a great way to promote writing. We are a remote Indigenous school in far north west South Australia.

Looking foward to hearing from you,

Jessica

10. Hi Jessica and Wendy,
    Thanks for your interest and great to have you with us. I will send you a link to the google docs where you can fill in your information. Please also see the page I have created for the project which might help clear up any questions you might have http://bit.ly/h0SZuP .

We look forward to working and sharing with you.

Sarah

11. Hi Sarah,

I would love for my class to be involved. Our school is in a unique part of Sydney. Looking forward to seeing how it all goes.

Sharee

12. Hello Sarah,
    What a wonderful idea, is it too late to sign up? I know my 4th graders in Wisconsin would love to send and receive postcards. Please email me the details if it is not too late.

Best,
    Pernille Ripp

13. Hello from Merton Primary School in Merton, Wisconsin, U.S.A. I teach a four year old kindergarten and we would love to do a post card exchange!

14. Hi there Sarah,
    Our gifted class would love to be involved in this. They meet every Tuesday afternoon and we will move on this as soon as we get together. Great idea!

Regards,
    Sharelle

15. Welcome to all the latest joiners,
    We are pleased to have you here and look forward to receiving your postcards and sending our own. You should have all received the google doc by now where you will be able to input your details for others on the project to see.
    I hope you and your students enjoy the project and your students benefit from it.
    Sarah

16. Hi Kristi,
    Great to have you with us. It will be fascinating seeing what things are like in Hawaii. I met my new class for the first time today, they’re just little and probably have never even heard of Hawaii – what a great way to broaden their horizons. Hopefully you have received the two google docs where you can input your details.
    Sarah

17. This sounds like a great “real” writing and sharing activity. I am sure some of the senior classes at Bankstown PS , NSW Aust, will enjoy being involved

• Hi Nerida,
      Thanks for your interest. I will share the google docs that have all the details of everybody on the project with you and you can then share them with any teachers from your school that are interested.
      We look forward to working with your school.
      Sarah

• Hi Victoria,
      Thanks for your interest, I will send you a link to the relevant google docs where you can input your information for others to see.
      We look forward to working with you.
      Sarah

18. Hello Sarah, I am a year 8 student and I’m talking on behalf of Mrs Hurley from East Hills Boys High School in Sydney, Paninia. We would like to know that where do we send the postcard. What is the address and how much time do we have to finish and send the postcards to you.

• Hi Saransh,
      It’s lovely to hear from a student writing on behalf of their teacher. So far all the other responses have been from teachers writing on behalf of their classes. It’s also great to see such a polite response from a student. The project is quite flexible, you can send the postcards whenever you like. There are currently about 20 or more schools involved with age ranges from Kindergarten all the way up to High School. All the address and other details for those people involved are on a shared google document – I can email you the link for this. If you and your class are still interested then please reply and I will send the link to the google document. Please let me know whether I need to send the link to Mrs Hurley’s email address or to yours.
      We look forward to hearing from you and sharing our postcards.
      Sarah

19. Hi Sarah, Thank you for your information. I will let you know about the link tomorrow after confirming with Mrs Hurley. I also want to wanted to ask that do we send the postcards to other schools and then they to us? Thank you anyways.
    Yours Sincerely
    Saransh Tiwari

• Hi Saransh,
      In terms of sending the postcards, it’s up to you. Once you see the database of names, you can decide who you send to and when. You can either choose some people to send to or send postcards to everyone on the list or wait until you receive some postcards and then send some back. There is a section in the information that asks you if you will send postcards to everyone or not so here you would just put yes or no depending on how you wanted to do the project. It’s very flexible and will just depend on how much time each class has.
      I hope that answers your question. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.
      Sarah

20. Aloha!
    Collecting postcards is favorite personal hobby of mine and I can’t wait to share the experience with my students! Hawaii may be just a little rock in the middle of the Pacific, but we have a ton of culture to share!

My Kindergarten students and I look forward to the project!

Mahalo,
    Ashley and the K-2 Class

21. Hello,

My class and I would love to participate in this postcard project. We would love to learn about different places around our country and the world and would love sharing a bit about the things that we love about Hawaii.

Thank you,
    Amy Shiraishi and the Children of Room 10

22. Thanks for the latest interest in this project.
    @Saransh: I have emailed you the link that will let you access the address list for The Postcard Project however I do not have Mrs Hurley’s email address so you will need to send me an email with that. (You should have my email address from the email I sent you.) We look forward to working with you too.

@Ashley and Amy: Thanks for your interest. Are you from Hawaii as well? I will email you both the link to the address list so you can put your own details in and access the details of others.

The kids from my class, and I’m sure from others, can’t wait to receive your postcards.

Sarah

23. Hi Sarah, Mrs Hurley just emailed me about what you said. Thank you very much for your kind words.
    your’s sincerely
    Saransh Tiwari

24. Aloha from Hawai’i!
    I’m the middle school language arts teacher at our private Buddhist school and we would love to be included in your postcard exchange.
    We’re looking forward to making new friends way across the ocean 🙂

Ashley and Amy who have also joined this project teach at the same school as me!

Hope to hear from you all soon,
    Jenn

25. Hi Jenn,
    Thanks for your interest. I have sent you a link to the shared google doc for the project. Please update your details so others can see where to send postcards too and you can send yours to them.
    We look forward to receiving yours.
    Sarah

26. Hello from Mitcham, London Borough of Merton, UK
    Two Year 3 classes (aged 7-8) would love to get involved in this project and have already bought our London postcards. If we could wave a magic wand, we would ideally love to exchange postcards with a school from Scotland, Ireland, Wales, France and Italy, because we are currently studying the history and geography of the 6 Nations Rugby Tournament. I realise, however, that this might be a bit too specific! We think it is a fabulous project and would love to exchange postcards with schools anywhere in the world.
    Postcards at the ready
    Kim

27. Dear Kim and the Year 3 Classes,
    Thanks for your comment. How exciting to be learning about the 6 Nations Rugby Tournament. Have your children heard of The All Blacks? The Rugby World Cup is being held here in New Zealand this year. I have 4 tickets to the game and found out today that I also have tickets for the… FINAL!!! I can’t believe it – talk about a magic wand!

I am working hard at granting your wish although France and Italy may be impossible. We currently have someone from Scotland on the project who I’m sure would love to exchange postcards with you. I have also emailed friends and ex-colleagues in Wales and Ireland to see if their classes would be interested in joining up for you. I can’t promise anything but I have tried my best.

I am from London originally so your postcards will be a great memory from home! I will share the google doc with you and we all look forward to receiving your postcards.

Miss. Leakey and The Pirates.

28. Hi,

We are from Russia and we’d like to join your project. Is it possible? Our school address is :
    Lyudmila Golubeva,
    29, Severnyi district,lyceum 1, Kansk, Krasnoyarskiy kray, Russia, 663614

Regards,
    Lyudmila and class

29. Hi Lyudmila and your class,
    Thanks for joining The Postcard Project. How exciting to have a class from Russia!
    I have shared the google doc with you which has all the addresses of everybody on the project. You can put your class details there so others can send you postcards too.
    Let me know if you have any problems accessing the google doc and I will try and help.
    Thanks,
    Miss. Leakey and The Pirates

30. Oh gosh – I’ve just seen there is a message for me here! I’ll get back to that in a minute…

I just wanted to say that we sent our first postcard off to Burravoe in Scotland yesterday and received one from them this afternoon as well as another one from Australia! My children were very enthusiastic about writing the postcard together and sending it off, but I was not prepared for their reaction when the postcards were in the register today – they screamed! We then went and had another look at Burravoe on Google Earth and they are now very curious about Yell! What a fantastic project! Well done Miss Leakey and the Pirates for thinking it up!
    Best wishes
    Kim O’Brien

31. Hi Kim,
    Sorry for the slow moderation, it’s been a very hectic week and unfortunately the blog ended being a bit further down the list than I had hoped.
    What a great response from your kids. I’m glad they’re enjoying the project and hopefully they’re learning a lot from it too. We received our postcard from Burravoe the other day too – my kids couldn’t believe the whole school only had 11 children – how unusual!
    Miss. Leakey

32. Aloha!

Is it too late for us to join in on the fun? We are a class of 2nd graders in Hawaii, and we would also love to make global connections with others away from our islands. Please let me know if we can participate, and what we will need to do.

Thank you,
    Davin Miyamura

33. I just came across this website. I was wondering if you are still exchanging post cards for the new school year. If so I would like to join in.

Thanks.
    Deb

34. Hi Deb,

Thanks for your interest in the project. I tried to email you about it but unfortunately the email you left did not appear to be valid. Would you be able to leave another comment so I can get back to you.

Miss. Leakey