The Postcard Project

AS OF JULY 2013, THE POSTCARD PROJECT NOW HAS A DEDICATED BLOG SITE:

HTTP://THEPOSTCARDPROJECT.EDUBLOGS.ORG

PLEASE VISIT IT FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO JOIN.

Want to be involved in the Postcard Project?  It’s simple and fun.  Read on to find out more!!!

Although blogging is great, there’s something quite nice about good old fashioned snail mail, in particular, receiving postcards.  So, in the spirit of developing global connections and getting to know a bit more about other peoples cities/countries etc. I propose

THE POSTCARD PROJECT

Beach

Image Attribute: Postcard JBeach Licensed Under: NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic

Here’s what you have to do:
- Leave a message on this post to show you’re interested and so we can exchange school addresses.
- Find a postcard that represents something iconic from your country or even better, from your city.
- Write on the back of the postcard.  This could be anything you like e.g. about your class, about your country or the sorts of things you did for Christmas etc. etc.
- Pop on our address and send it to us.
- You will also recieve a postcard from us.

This can be something you just do with this class or if lots of people are interested, I’ll set up a google doc with various addresses for people that want to take part and larger scale exchanges can take place.

What’s great about this project is the age doesn’t matter – primary or secondary/high-school are both welcome.  What’s more, it provides a real purpose for writing.

Be as involved as you like.  Write 1 postcard or lots.  Do it once in the year or ongoing throughout the year.  The choice is yours.

We look forward to receiving your postcards!

INFORMATION FOR THOSE WHO HAVE ALREADY JOINED:

- You should have received a link to the google doc to input your address and see others’ addresses.
- You should have received a link to the google doc to input when you sent a postcard and when you received it (optional).

- WHO DO I SEND TO?
- Send to one person or as many as you like.  You can choose from anyone on the googledoc.

- WHEN DO I SEND THE CARD?
- We will all be different, send them whenever suits you and your class.  (I plan to start sending around about the 2nd/3rd week of Feb.)

- USEFUL LINKS
– I have started collecting useful links related to postcards.  You can see them on my diigo site.  Just type postcards into the tags section to find them.
- If you have found useful links feel free to add them in the comments section below for others to see.

- ANY QUESTIONS?
– Feel free to use the comments section below as a forum for asking any questions you have or share any ideas.

289 Responses to “The Postcard Project”
  1. Ashley Selck says:

I would love to be part of this project! We are a small middle school in California.

• leakeysblog says:

Hi Ashley,
      Sorry it has taken a while to reply! I have sent you a link to the project so you can get started whenever you want. I have also sent you an email with a few more details explaining the project.
      Enjoy. Let me know if you have any problems.
      Sarah

2. Miss Jenkins says:

Wow! What a lovely idea, there is really nothing better then receiving postcards from around the world.

If it is not to late, we would love to join up with the postcard project. I teach a grade 3/4 class in Melbourne, Australia. We blog at http://www.spanmiddleschool.global2.vic.edu.au

Look forward to hearing from you,

Miss Jenkins

• leakeysblog says:

Hi Miss Jenkins,
      Sarah

3. Susan says:

Hi,
    What a great idea! Blogging is great, but there’s nothing like receiving real mail.
    We are a grade 2 class at Munich International School, Germany.
    I look forward to getting started.
    Susan

• leakeysblog says:

Hi Susan,
      I have sent you a link to the project so you can get started whenever you want. I have also sent you an email with a few more details explaining the project.
      It will be great to have a school from Germany!
      Sarah

4. Mary Anne Shaw says:

Hi,

My class would love to take part in the Postcard Project. I teach 1st grade at a global school in North Carolina. Each grade level explores a continen, ours is Australia.

Here is our contact info:

Mrs. Shaw’s Class
    Jeffrey’s Grove Elementary School
    6119 Creedmoor Rd.
    Raleigh, NC 27612

Thanks!

Mary Anne

• leakeysblog says:

Hi Mary Anne,
      Sarah

5. Laura Roberts says:

Hi,

I teach Kindergarten in a small Independent School in Mountain Lakes, NJ. We would love to participate in your Postcard Project!

Looking forward to getting started:)

Best Regards,
    Laura

• leakeysblog says:

Hi Laura,
      Sarah

6. Jennifer Hedges says:

I teach a first grade classroom in Berwick, Maine. My class would like to join this project! Please send me additional details.

• leakeysblog says:

Hi Jennifer,
      I hope you had a great Christmas and New Year. I have sent you an email with further details about the project and you should have received two links which will let you get started with the project. I hope you enjoy it.
      Sarah

7. Cathy Lonergan says:

Hi,
    I’m a first grade teacher in Orange, California and my kids would love to send and receive a postcard from your school. We are on Christmas break and go back Jan. 7th, so anytime after that would be great. What a great writing incentive and geography lesson.
    Cathy

• leakeysblog says:

Hi Cathy,
      Sarah

8. Miss Nat says:

Hello! Is this project still running ? If so would love some details… Natalie

9. missnat says:

Hello!
    Is this project running this year??

10. [...] few years ago, Mrs Leakey set up The Postcard Project, whilst she was teaching in New Zealand.  Teachers and students have been busy writing, sending [...]

11. [...] few years ago, Mrs Leakey set up The Postcard Project whilst she was teaching in New Zealand.  Teachers and students have been busy writing, sending [...]

12. Amy says:

Can you please send some more information on the project. Thanks

• leakeysblog says:

Hi Amy,
      I have sent you an email about The Postcard Project if you are still interested in taking part.
      Sarah

• leakeysblog says:

Amy,
      The email address you have provided does not seem to work. If you have an alternative and are still interested in the project, please let me know.
      Sarah

13. Kath says:

Hi,
    I am interested in joining the postcard project if that is possible.
    Thanks Kath

• leakeysblog says:

Hi Kath,
      Sarah

14. Heidi Kubin says:

If you are still doing this project, can I get in on it? My grade 4/5 class would absolutely love this!

• leakeysblog says:

Hi Heidi
      Sarah

15. Sabastian says:

Hello,

yes I would love to be apart of this project

• leakeysblog says:

Hi Sabastian,
      Sarah

16. Shirley Bennett says:

Hi,
    Was given your address by a fellow teacher who has really enjoyed belonging to the postcard project. I know my class would love to join also. I have an energetic group of 27 year 5 and 6 students who live in the river city of Wanganui.
    Look forward to hearing back regards details.

Shirley

• leakeysblog says:

Hi Shirley,
      Sarah

17. Kayla says:

I am a 1st grade teacher in Fairburn, Ga and would love to get involved in this project!! What are the next steps?

• leakeysblog says:

Hi Kayla,
      Sarah

18. Kellee says:

I would love for you to send me an email to be a part of this project if you still have the information! Thanks so much!!!!

19. Kellee says:

Can you please send me the info i need to get started? I would love for you to send me an email to be a part of this project if you still have the information! Thanks so much!!

• leakeysblog says:

Hi Kellee,
      Sarah

20. roomoneups says:

Hi
    We would love to be a part of it too! I have a year one class.
    Thank you!!!! :)

• leakeysblog says:

Hi Michelle,
      Sarah

21. Melissa Dowling says:

I would love to get my class involved this coming school year 2013 – 2014. I would love to get more information about this project and sign up to get started. Are there older classes involved as well? I’m a 4th grade teacher. Twitter @mbdowling

• leakeysblog says:

Hi Melissa,
      Thanks for your comment and interest in The Postcard Project. I will email you the details about the project and how to get started. Mostly, those involved on the project range from Kindergarten/Nursery up to the end of primary so there will definitely be classes for you to connect with. There are also secondary/high school classes as well but this is not as common as the primary classes.
      I hope you enjoy it.
      Sarah

22. Ty says:

I’m a middle school teacher in Central PA. We’d love to take part in this project!

• leakeysblog says:

Hi,
      Great timing, I’ve just finished updating the project and all the latest details including the relevant form you need to fill in to join (takes less than 2 minutes) can be found on http://thepostcardproject.edublogs.org
      If you have any problems, feel free to leave another comment and I’ll do what I can to help.
      Sarah

23. Sophia says:

Hi,
    I would love my year 1 class to be involved in the postcard project.

Thanks

• leakeysblog says:

Hi Sophia,
      It looks like you found the new Postcard Project site after this was sent. I have emailed you a link to the form you need to fill in to join the group project.
      Sarah

24. vsclg says:

Hi,
    My class would love to be part of this, how exciting!

Veronica

• leakeysblog says:

Hi Veronica,
      Thanks for leaving a comment. I have added you to the project so you can get started whenever you’re ready!
      Sarah

25. Nancy ayad says:

Hi,

My class would love this. Catholic school in sydney.

Thanks

26. hannah04 says:

Hi Sarah,
    I have filled in the self-directory form, but it kind of stops there. My students and I would love to be part of the project, so what exactly do we have to do to join in? Hannah

27. Robyn says:

I teach grade 1/2 outside of Vancouver, BC. We would love to get involved! Please send me the info!

28.